Coronavirus Case Demographics
Four dashboards are maintained by NVRC to track coronavirus cases, testing, vaccine, and demographics data for the Northern Virginia region. The coronavirus information found in the dashboards are sourced from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). The cases and testing dashboards are updated daily generally between 10am-12pm following VDH's daily update. The case demographics dashboard is updated weekly on Mondays.
In addition to NVRC's dashboards, VDH maintains a dashboard on Northern Virginia key measures that includes hospitalized patients, hospital bed occupancy, and hospital bed capacity and data. View the hospital key measures.
In addition to the regional information, statewide information can be found on VDH's coronavirus website.
Coronavirus Cases Demographics
This dashboard summarizes the demographics of coronavirus cases for the Northern Virginia region and its health districts. The coronavirus information is sourced from the Virginia Department of Health. Track cases, deaths, and hospitalizations by demographic. The dashboard is updated weekly on Thursdays.
Factors such as racial and ethnic disparities in health insurance and income, as well as obesity and chronic health conditions may play a role in the people of color and Hispanic ethnicity having COVID-19 vulnerabilities. This dashboard's demographic data will help inform efforts, now and in the future, to curb racial disparities and inequities that exist by socioeconomic status and race/ethnicity. For more information on coronavirus racial disparities, vulnerable populations, and the importance of monitoring the vulnerable populations during the pandemic, the CDC has an excellent website: COVID-19 in Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups.
** It is important to first understand the limitations of the data before drawing conclusions from the data that is presented. Please see the interpretation and limitations section that is after the dashboard. **
To navigate the dashboard displayed below:
1) Click on the graphic for information on the topic of interest. Note, graphics are a snapshot in time and do not reflect the latest information. For the latest information, click on the graphic.
Demographic Distributions Compared to Overall Population
2) Select the health data variable of interest: cases, deaths, or hospitalizations.
3) Select the demographic for the bar chart: race, ethnicity, or age.
4) Select the health district of interest. The default is Northern Virginia, which is actually not a health district, but this option is provided for regional summarization of the region's health districts.
2) Select the demographic for the line chart.
3) Select the health district of interest. The default is Northern Virginia, which is actually not a health district, but this option is provided for regional summarization of the region's health districts.